Classes are limited to 20 students per class.
Grade 10 – 12 classes are even smaller due to the various subject choices.
Small classes allow for individualized attention.
Curriculum followed: WCED CAPS
TECHNOLOGY & LEARNING
At Academy Private School we believe by providing students digital access and infusing technology across and within the curriculum that our students will become responsible digital participants in our society. We use technology to:
• CREATE ACTIVE STUDENTS – We use technology that allows all students to become actively engaged in class.
• ENHANCE GROUP PARTICIPATION – Through the use of a variety of technological tools teachers can engage an entire class so that all students participate simultaneously.
• ENGAGE STUDENTS AND ENHANCE FEEDBACK – By intentionally choosing captivating programs, student interaction with key content is increased and feedback to students is enhanced.
e-Campus is our online learning portal, and online school community communication channel.
During 2020 and the Coronavirus pandemic, we moved to online learning and our school’s virtual classes were successfully presented via our online learning portal. We remained on track with our curriculum throughout the year.
Although we moved to in-school, face-to-face teaching months ago, we continue to utilize features of our online learning portal.
Our school communication channel remains our standard means of communication with our school community.
Tablet PC or Laptop
All Academy Private School high school students (including grade 7s from January 2021) are required to have a tablet PC or laptop that will be used daily in the classrooms for lessons.
The prescribed tablet PC or Laptop at Academy Private School is a Chromebook, and these can be purchased by parents from the I.T. suppliers suggested by the school.
Parents must ensure that their child’s Chromebook tablet PC or laptop conforms the minimum specifications. Please ensure that you familiarize yourself with the minimum
Chromebook specifications and ideal Chromebook specifications.
Academy Private School joined the eRevolution way back in 2014!
As of January 2014 all class textbooks (for high school students, and including grade 7s from January 2021) are only available as eBooks and used in the classrooms.
Parents must purchase the relevant grade eBooks from the school’s online eBook store, and parents must ensure that the eBooks are loaded onto their Chromebook laptop or tablet.
Click here to purchase eBooks
Robotic STEAM Education
Our Grade 1 – 9 students have a weekly timetabled 1 hour Robotic STEAM Education slot. In addition, Grade 4-12 students can further explore Robotics as an extramural activity (Robotics Club) in order to compete in National and International competitions and Robotics Olympiads.
Through the Brainstorm Boffins® Robotic STEAM Education programme we teach STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) including coding and digital skills. Brainstorm Boffins® utilizes programmable robots for exploration, experimentation and creativity.
At Academy Private School, we prepare our students with the 21st century knowledge and skill set needed to impact their surroundings from a local, national, and global perspective.
We aim to implement an innovative and creative, student-centered learning environment where students and teachers utilize the latest technology in the acquisition of knowledge and skills to succeed in a competitive global economy. STEAM Education leads to innovation, new ways of thinking, new technologies, and much more.
Brainstorm Boffins® Robotic STEAM Education programme’s function is to get students excited about engaging with new ideas and concepts. Further, Brainstorm Boffins® Robotic STEAM Education creates an environment of collaboration and critical thinking where each student’s creativity is allowed to flourish.
STEAM EDUCATION PHILOSOPHY
STEAM’s foundations lie in inquiry, critical thinking, and process-based learning. That is extremely important. The entire idea surrounding STEAM lessons and the STEAM approach is that it’s based around questioning, and really deep questioning. We want to start asking non-Googleable questions.
Inquiry, curiosity, being able to find solutions to a problem, and being creative in the finding of the solutions is at the heart of this approach. This means that the humanities are woven into STEAM just like everything else.
The benefits of STEAM approach to learning to students and the entire school community are tremendous. Students and teachers engaged in STEAM make more real-life connections so that school is not a place where you go to learn but instead becomes the entire experience of learning itself.
We are always learning, always growing, always experimenting. School doesn’t have to be a place, but rather a frame of mind that uses the Arts as a lever to explosive growth, social-emotional connections, and the foundation for the innovators of tomorrow…today!
HIGH SCHOOL SUBJECT CHOICE
Grade 10 – 12 (2020)
English First Language
Afrikaans Second Language
Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy
Choose 1 Subject Combination from the table below.
Note: All our choice subjects are university entrance subjects.
Academic Focus Programmes:
|Academic Focus 1:||Academic Focus 2:||Academic Focus 3:|
|Field of the Sciences||Field of Design &
|Field of Design &
|English (HL)||English (HL)||English (HL)||English (HL)||English (HL)|
|Afrikaans (FAL)||Afrikaans (FAL)||Afrikaans (FAL)||Afrikaans (FAL)||Afrikaans (FAL)|
|Mathematics||Mathematics or||Mathematics||Mathematics or||Mathematics or|
|Life Sciences||Mathematics Lit.||Design||Mathematics Lit.||Mathematics Lit.|
|Physical Sciences||Design||Physical Sciences||Business Studies||Business Studies|
|CAT||Business Studies||CAT||Design||Life Sciences|
- A pupil must offer seven subjects.
- A pupil must offer two official languages.
- A pupil must offer all the compulsory subjects.
- Physical Sciences require Mathematics and so will not be an option for those who achieve less than 50% in Mathematics in Grade 9.
- A student must have PASSED Mathematics the previous year to continue with Mathematics in Grades 11 & 12.
- The following are the promotion requirements for the National Senior Certificate (NSC):
One language at 40% at the Home Language level;
Two other subjects at the 40% level;
Three other subjects at the 30% level.
While Non-BA Degree Pass Subjects e.g. CAT do not count towards a BA Degree Pass, the points acquired in this subject may be used for tertiary entrance.
Bachelor’s Degree Study
Pass 6 of the 7 subjects offered.
To be eligible for admission to degree study, applicants need to meet minimum requirements for eligibility:
Applicants holding a South African National Senior Certificate need to pass a minimum of four subjects at a rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better.
On the 2nd of March 2018 the designated list of subjects was revoked through a Government Gazette from the Department of Higher Education and the minimum admission requirements for degree study are expected to be changed as to require an achievement of 50 percent or more in any four subjects from the recognised 20-credit subject list.
The requirements for a Diploma Pass:
Pass 6 of the 7 subjects offered.
• 40% or more for English
• 40% for 4 subjects
• 30% pass in Language of Learning and Teaching
A student can register for a Diploma at any university or university of technology in South Africa.
The School’s Academic Focus 1: Field of the Sciences
The School’s Academic Focus 2: Field of Design & Technology
Design Tertiary Education:
- Fine Art – Drawing, Illustration
- Design – Graphic, Industrial, Interior Design, Fashion, Set Design, Jewellery, Textile, etc.
- Film-making and Animation
Our school facilities:
- Computer lab, Science lab/STEAME lab and Design classroom.
- Design software.
- Digital projectors, visual and audio/sound equipment.
- High Speed Fibre Internet and school network.
- Coding software & robotics equipment.
ACADEMY PRIVATE SCHOOL POLICY ON SUBJECT CHOICES AND SUBJECT CHANGES
All Gr. 9 students will make their subject selection for Gr. 10 during August of their Gr. 9 year. The Life Orientation department will inform and liaise with students regarding career options and the requirements.
Students in Gr. 10 wanting to study Physical Sciences must take Mathematics as a subject through to Gr. 12.
SUBJECT CHANGES AS FROM 2018
The subject change policy has changed as promulgated in the Regulations Pertaining to the National Curriculum Statement Grades R-12 as amended in the Government Gazette, No. 39435 of 20 November 2015.
Subject changes in Grade 10
- A student may change a maximum of two subjects
- The closing date for requests from parents to the school for subject changes is 30 June.
Subject changes in Grade 11
- A student may change a maximum of two subjects
- The closing date for requests from parents to the school for subject changes is 31 March.
- In exceptional cases, a student may change one additional subject in Grade 11, after the release of the final end of year results in Grade 11.
- The request for a subject change must be done before or on the last day of the school term, i.e. 9 December 2016.
Subject changes in Grade 12
- NO subject changes will be allowed in the Grade 12 year as from 2017 onwards.
- The administration of subject change for Grade 10-12
- Early identification of students in Grade 10 and 11 for subject changes is very important. Subject teachers must identify such students and inform parents in writing.
- The academic head/principal will consult with the parents, student and subject teacher and consensus must be reached that it will be in the student’s best interest to change.
- After an agreement has been reached, the principal/academic head, parents and subject teacher must complete and sign a memorandum of agreement (Addendum A – to be collected from the academic head) indicating the subject change.
- This subject change must be captured on Cemis and a copy of the documents must be kept for scrutiny.
- A subject change for Grade 10 and 11 will be approved by the principal.
- The District and Head Office officials will monitor these requests for subject changes.
- The WCED will not accept late requests for subject changes in Gr. 12.
- The National Senior Certificate is a three-year qualification and each subject must be offered in Grade 10, 11 and 12. Candidates may not apply at the beginning of Grade 12 to register for an extra subject.
SCHOOL SUBJECTS OFFERED
Grade 7 to 9 (Senior Phase)
English Home Language
Afrikaans First Additional Language
Social Sciences (History & Geography)
Grades 10 to 12 (FET Phase)
English Home Language
Afrikaans First Additional language
Computer Applications Technology (CAT)
Design (Extra subject levies to be paid for materials)
Students select their three electives from the subjects on offer. These subjects are grouped into bands based on teacher availability and student demands.
Once a student has made a selection from each band, he or she will have his or her subject choices.
While Academy Private School endeavours to allow students to take every subject they would like to take, sometimes this is not possible owing to class size limits and staffing constraints.
Number Policy: In order to make subjects feasible, certain capacity limits have to put into place. A minimum class size of 3 and a maximum size of 20 students are enforced.
FREE Academic Support: Subject Extra Lessons
We offer an academic support programme at Academy Private School where FREE subject extra lessons are offered by our teachers to our students (whole class) in the afternoons, Monday to Friday 14:30 – 15:30 (high School) and 13:45 – 14:30 (primary school). These extra lessons are offered where support may be needed in preparation for examinations, etc. (Request the termly timetable from the school front office or principal).
Natural-and Life Sciences
Xhosa (Certain grades)
Primary School Hours
|Pre-Primary||8.00 – 13.00 classes; Enrichment Activities Programme (ball skills/sports, eco and outdoors (e.g. vegetable garden), drama, music, art, etc.|
|Grades 1 to 3||8.00 – 13.30 classes; 13.30 – 14.15 Enrichment Activities Programme (ball skills/sports, eco and outdoors (e.g. vegetable garden), drama, music, art, etc. Our Enrichment Activities are offered free and are included in the school fees.|
|Grades 4 to 6||8.00 – 14.30 classes; Enrichment Activities Programme (ball skills/sports, eco and outdoors (e.g. vegetable garden), drama, music, art, etc. Our Enrichment Activities are offered free and are included in the school fees.|
|Aftercare||14.15 – 17.30|
High School Hours
Grades 7 – 12
8:00 – 2:30
Certain cultural and sport activities are offered for FREE in the afternoons after school to our high school students.
High School compulsory sport and cultural activities are on a Wednesday and Friday 13:30 to 14:30 during school hours.
Academy Private School has a uniform and we teach our students to take pride in their appearance as ambassadors of our school.
Click below (“UNIFORM DOCUMENTS”) to download the Uniform Information Sheets.
You can also request the girl’s and boy’s school uniform information sheets from: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only certain uniform items such as the golf shirt, tracksuit, tie, badges and tennis shirt can be purchased on the e-campus.co.za online store.
All the main uniform items (black trousers, school shorts, skirt, blazer, PT shorts, rain jacket, scarf, beanie, gloves, school long sleeve jersey, school pull-over jersey, white shirts, and school socks.) can be purchased at Woolworths.
Click here to purchase uniform items.WOOLWORTHS STORE
Click here to purchase uniform items from Woolworths.
- Uniform Information Sheet – High School & Primary School Gr 4-12 Girls
- Uniform Information Sheet – High School & Primary School Gr 4-12 Boys
- Uniform Information Sheet – Foundation Phase Gr 1-3 Girls
- Uniform Information Sheet – Foundation Phase Gr 1-3 Boys